Do chickpeas help in weight loss? Should I include chickpeas in my weight loss diet plan? If you are also asking yourself the same questions, this article might greatly help you.
Yes!!! The answer to all the above questions is positive. Chickpeas for weight loss might be a tasty choice. Furthermore, they might also aid in maintaining a healthy body.
Being overweight has become very common, and so are the means to combat it. Gaining a few extra pounds in a while might not be that big of a deal, but ignoring it constantly could turn it into one.
Taking into consideration the plethora of choices available to reduce weight, chickpeas might be a healthier and flavorsome alternative.
One might consider including chickpeas as a part of their healthy diet schedule when planning to reduce some belly fat. Chickpeas are iron-rich foods and are packed with nutrients that may act wonders in reducing body mass.
Not only could they help shed a few pounds off the body, but they are also known to combat numerous other diseases and keep one healthy and happy.
Chickpeas along with some workouts are bound to make an impression on one’s physique. These round, nutty-flavored beans contain nutrients, like proteins and fibers, that may act as weight loss catalysts.
The plant-based protein in chickpeas is a great substitute for meat for people on a vegan-friendly diet. These proteins may help you balance your weight, build up bone health, and strengthen muscles.
Chickpeas, when consumed, delay the digestion process and prevent extra calorie intake. These legume family members contain both soluble and insoluble fibers.
They are especially high in soluble fibers called raffinose. The human body breaks the insoluble fiber down and takes hours to digest them.
Due to postponement in the digestion mechanism, one might not feel hungry for quite a stretch.
Moreover, these fibers may promote a smoother bowel movement and may also ensure a healthy cholesterol level.
The protein and fibers found in chickpeas help curb cravings and promote a higher level of satiety throughout the day. The two together slow down the process of digestion.
Hence, making one feel fuller for longer hours. This prevents them from eating junk or unhealthy food, without even realizing it.
Canned or Dried Chickpeas?
Chickpeas, whether canned or dried, possess a set of quality nutritional values. However, the canned ones must be checked for sodium content, or go for the ones with the “no salt added” label.
The very first step in the cooking and consuming process, be it beans or any other veggies, is that they must be washed properly. This helps in getting rid of the chemicals and toxicants if any.
Soaking them overnight for a good morning meal might be a good idea. Consuming these pulses in the raw form might land you with health problems.
Therefore, never go for the raw ones. Cooking them enhances their protein content, making them more beneficial to health. They can also be boiled and consumed directly with a bit of flavoring.
Chickpeas have an incredible nutritional profile. Even one serving is packed with numerous quality vitamins and minerals in varying quantities.
These beans supply low calories and are high in protein and dietary fiber content which might make them a perfect fit for your weight loss diet plan.
Along with quality protein and fiber, they are a good source of potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, vitamins, minerals, and many more.
Given below is a list of quantitative measurements of the major constituents contained in 100 grams of cooked chickpeas.
A serving of 100 grams contains:
- Calories: 164
- Proteins: 8.86 g
- Carbohydrate: 27.4 g
- Fat: 2.59 g
- Fiber: 7.6 g
- Iron: 2.89 g
- Calcium: 49 mg
- Magnesium: 48 mg
- Phosphorus: 168 mg
- Potassium: 291 mg
Other Health Benefits
Heath benefits of consuming chickpeas are quite amazing when taken in the right manner. Chickpeas are “multi-nutritious”. The beans are packed with multiple nutrients in varying proportions.
These small yet mighty beads may hide within themselves the potential to cure, or at least minimize, the risk of numerous diseases. Some of them are listed below.
- The fibrous content may help in regulating the blood sugar level of the body.
- The calcium content found in chickpeas may promote bone health.
- Consuming it may also lower the risk of cardiovascular diseases. As they contain minerals like magnesium and potassium that may control the spike in blood pressure.
- The proteins and fibers may help in the management of overweight. There are some special vitamins and minerals in chickpeas that may prevent different types of cancer.
- The fibers accelerate the digestion process and may also help with various digestive diseases.
- Being a good source of iron, chickpeas may prevent iron deficiency and promote overall physical and mental growth and development.
- There are several nutrients like magnesium, zinc, selenium, choline, etc that promote brain health. The magnesium, B vitamins, and zinc may lower the risk of type 2 diabetes and the list goes on.
Cooking tasty food these days does not require you to be a trained master chef. From the ingredients list to recipes, to garnishing, and serving the food, everything is readily available on the internet.
- Choose according to your taste and preference, it won’t take you long! Given below are some tasty tips that one may add to their diet.
- Chickpeas can be added to a variety of salads and soups. Grind it into a paste and stuff it into burgers, sandwiches, and meatless meatballs.
- Hummus can be made with cooked, mashed chickpeas blended with tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, and spices.
- Replacing your regular flour with chickpeas flour for baking purposes might make a difference. The chickpeas can be roasted for a crunchy and crispy snack.
- Tomatoes and spinach with garbanzo beans might be a new recipe in your knowledge. A vegetarian shepherd’s pie might be something you are craving.
Everything feels good within the limits. The excess of anything can cause damage. Similarly, consuming chickpeas for weight loss also have its do’s and don’ts.
Health plays a very crucial role in the life of every living being. Therefore, it is our prime responsibility to take care of the same.
Considering the following points might prevent you from making mistakes and avoiding potential harm.
- If you are allergic to any sort of legumes, do consult your healthcare provider and dietitian before making chickpeas a part of your schedule. This is because chickpeas belong to the legume family.
- One serving (70 grams) per day might just be a sufficient quantity. Consuming it in excess, hoping it to double the progress might ruin the whole plan.
- The side effects of excess consumption may include gas, nausea, and bloating problems. Therefore, gradually proceed with their consumption.
- Never consume raw chickpeas as they may contain toxicants and other harmful substances that might corrupt your health. Always rinse and cook them before pairing and serving them on the table.
- As these beans are rich in a lot of nutrients, people on medications might have to consult their healthcare providers before including them in their diet.
Chickpeas might be a healthy and tasty pick for your weight loss journey. The beans contain multiple nutrients and have a dynamic nutritional profile.
The plant-based proteins and dietary fiber content of these legumes might act as catalysts in reducing weight. Consuming chickpeas for weight loss might benefit the body in various other ways.
Their easy availability and affordability make them preferable. The beans have a versatile personality, making them compatible with a variety of dishes they are put into.
Moreover, their nutty flavor seems to enhance the taste of everything they are paired with.