In this article about Turmeric, I have shared a few points about this herbal component that may help you through its consumption.
Along with this, I have mentioned the benefits and uses as well as the properties of Turmeric in your daily lives.
If you are also planning to consider using Turmeric in your daily diet, then your might wish to go through this article on Turmeric.
- 1 What Is Turmeric?
- 2 Turmeric Benefits
- 2.1 Turmeric Holds The Properties Of Bioactive Compounds Containing Medicinal Properties
- 2.2 Turmeric Holds Inflammatory Properties
- 2.3 It Increases The Antioxidant Properties In The Body
- 2.4 It Could Boost Neurotrophic Factors Derived From The Brain
- 2.5 Might Help To Reduce Heart-Related Issues Due To The Presence Of Curcumin
- 2.6 It Responds Well To Arthritis Patients
- 2.7 It Might Help To Battle Depression
- 2.8 Could Be Beneficial To Delay Aging And Chronic Diseases
- 3 What Is Turmeric Good For?
- 4 Turmeric Powder
- 5 Turmeric Pills
- 6 Serious Side Effects Of Turmeric
- 7 Is Turmeric Good For You?
- 8 Turmeric Benefits For Skin
- 9 Conclusion
What Is Turmeric?
Curcuma Longa has a root that provides a common spice known as turmeric. It contains a chemical known as Curcumin that might help in the reduction of swelling.
Turmeric may be used in the form of curry powders and shares a bitter and warm taste. It could also be used to treat conditions that may involve inflammation and pain.
Turmeric might be one of the most nutritious supplements in the existence. Studies have shown that turmeric might have an addition of major benefits to your health relating to your body and brain.
Curcumin is the main ingredient that is responsible for the benefits that turmeric adds to our body and health.
Turmeric Holds The Properties Of Bioactive Compounds Containing Medicinal Properties
Curcumin is a compound present in turmeric which holds the properties of antioxidants and anti-inflammation.
Curcumin also consists of fat-soluble properties and easily dissolves and breaks down oil and fat. Hence, it is recommended to take curcumin supplements with meals that are high in fat content.
Turmeric Holds Inflammatory Properties
Inflammation is a property that is important to fight the cell damage in your body. Although inflammation for a short period could be beneficial it could soon become a matter of concern if due to inflammation your body starts to attack its tissues and cause chronic.
As per some the scientists, a low level of chronic could play a role in affecting the body and cause critical conditions or diseases such as
Different kinds of degenerative conditions.
Due to such reasons, it becomes really important to prevent and treat such occurrences. Curcumin may play a very important role in such cases and could prove very helpful for the prevention as well as support during the reduction of such ailments.
It Increases The Antioxidant Properties In The Body
Oxidative damage shows the reaction mechanisms relating to aging and many other diseases could hold the free radicals that are highly reactive molecules holding the unpaired electrons.
These free radicals possess the tendency of reacting with important organic substances namely fatty acids, DNA, and proteins.
Antioxidants are considered to be beneficial because they tend to protect your body from free radicals. Curcumin present in turmeric is a potent antioxidant that aids against free radicals.
It Could Boost Neurotrophic Factors Derived From The Brain
Neurons are capable of making or forming the newer connections, they could increase the number in certain areas of the brain.
Brain-derived neurotrophic factor is one of the main drivers of this process. Protein is made by the involvement of this protein and this gene also holds the responsibility of promoting the life of neurons.
Regards to the brain, it plays a vital role in the learning process and memory retention and could also be found in the areas of the brain that hold the responsibility of drinking, eating, or body weight.
Some the brain disorders such as depression or Alzheimer’s disease also are said to be having decreased levels of BDNF type of protein in the association.
Some animal studies also suggest that curcumin also might be capable of increasing the brain levels associated with BDNF.
Might Help To Reduce Heart-Related Issues Due To The Presence Of Curcumin
Heart disease has been one of the most common causes of death in the world in recent times. After a continued study over a long period, the researchers conclude that there could be various other factors regarding this.
Curcumin could help in reversing a lot of steps in the process of heart-related diseases. Some f the studies even claim that curcumin could even lead to an improvement in heart health.
It could also be helpful to reduce the action and inflammation which could play a vital role in heart-related diseases.
It Might Help In The Prevention Of Cancer
An uncontrolled cellular growth leads to cancer. Cancer is a disease that has various other forms and they could be affected by curcumin since it might
Hold the contribution against death of the cancerous cells and tissues.
It would also stop the growth of newer blood vessels in the tumors.
It could also help in reducing metastasis.
It Might Treat Alzheimer’s Disease
Alzheimer’s disease is the kind of disease that is most common these days. It could cause around 70% of dementia cases.
Until now there has been no cure found for Alzheimer’s disease. This is the reason that preventing it before its occurrence holds a great value.
Curcumin has been proven to cross the blood-brain barrier hence it might be suitable to help a person to avoid Alzheimer’s disease.
It Responds Well To Arthritis Patients
Joint inflammation is something that might be generally characterized as Arthritis. A lot of studies show that curcumin could help to treat some of the symptoms of arthritis and sometimes might even prove more effective as compared to anti-inflammatory properties.
It Might Help To Battle Depression
There was a study conducted among 60 people with depression approached to a conclusion that curcumin and Prozac both were equally effective alleviate the symptoms of the relevant condition.
Could Be Beneficial To Delay Aging And Chronic Diseases
Due to its anti-inflammatory properties and adding to the prevention and cure of the diseases like cancer, heart-related diseases, and Alzheimer’s diseases it could also be related to longevity.
This could be concluded in a manner that it could also be used as a supplement for anti-aging.
What Is Turmeric Good For?
Turmeric has always been known as a healthy addition to your spices to not only add a better taste but also a lot of health benefits which include the following
- Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties.
- It supports digestion.
- It holds anti-cancerous properties.
- It could control blood sugar levels.
- It might improve heart health.
- It contains anti-oxidants.
- It could prevent Alzheimer’s disease.
- It could help people suffering from depression.
- It could improve the functions of the liver.
- It could also help to treat erectile dysfunction.
- It might improve skin health.
A bright yellow spice powder that is made up of the rhizomes of turmeric could be termed turmeric powder. It holds a flavor that is warm and peppery touch.
It is used as a culinary ingredient and due to the presence of curcumin, it could also be used as a cosmetic agent and also might be used as a medicinal agent too.
Since ancient times or we could say around 3000 years ago, i.e Vedic times it has been used as an antiseptic and medicinal agent, and also it has been used as spiritual prayers and ceremonies in Hindus and their culture. The consumption of it could be limited to around 1 gram to 3.5 grams daily.
There has not been any long-term study that is done to prove its effectiveness. Studies made on turmeric suggest that it is generally safe in smaller doses but could cause side effects if taken under higher doses.
Long-term higher doses might cause GI issues in some people. It could also hold interference with some of the other medications such as antioxidants or anti-depressants.
Also, the people who suffer from reflux disease, diabetes, infertility, hormone sensitivity, iron deficiency, bleeding disorder, gall bladder issues, gastroesophageal reflux disease, or liver disease may not take turmeric pills.
Others who have not been dealing with such health issues could always use turmeric without a second thought but it is recommended to take any supplement under a health professional.
Serious Side Effects Of Turmeric
Though there are no serious side effects as such if it is consumed over 1500 mg daily twice then it could cause dangerous abnormalities in heart rhythms.
Generally, the recommended doses of turmeric might include 1.41 milligrams/pound of body weight, i.e. up to 12 grams on a general basis. But if this is overdone then some of the basic side effects might include
- Upset Stomach
- Acid reflux
- Risk of kidney stone formation.
- Risk of bleeding disorder.
- It could also be responsible for the formation of gall stones if there is an overdose regularly.
- Pregnant women must not use turmeric supplements since it could lead to uterus contractions and complications but might still consume turmeric with spices or in powder form.
Keeping turmeric consumption in moderation is always recommended. Otherwise, there are high chances you may face side effects related to turmeric consumption.
Is Turmeric Good For You?
Yes, Turmeric could be good for your health if it is taken under a certain limit. Since it could also help you with certain points which include:
- It might help to deal with overcoming indigestion.
- Due to the high iron content present in it, it could help in treating anemia. Root and powder of turmeric must be a regular diet in anemic patient’s daily life.
- The presence of Curcumin might help to relieve joint inflammations.
- It could help you to keep your blood sugar level down if you are a diabetic patient.
- It could be a great antioxidant for you if you suffer from any oxidative stress.
- It could improve your mental health.
- It could also manage chronic allergies.
- It could relieve skin irritations.
- It could also help in reducing cholesterol.
Turmeric Benefits For Skin
Some of the skin benefits might include area.
- Might help in hyperpigmentation lightening.
- Might reduce dark circles.
- Might prevent pre-mature aging.
- Might show benefits regarding Eczema and Psoriasis.
- Might help in the healing of acne.
- It could help in moisturizing dry skin.
- Could also reduce stretch marks.
- Could be used for skin nourishment.
- Might help to hydrate the skin.
- It could also help you to have clear skin.
Since turmeric has always been used as a spice and for treatment since ancient times. It also transcends to modern-day uses due to its beneficial properties and ingredients.
Potential details regarding turmeric have been mentioned in this article to provide proper exposure. Further, using Turmeric in your diet could help you with the key points discussed here.
- The texts and images in this article are only for informational purposes.
- Anything in this article is not intended to provide any health advice or treatment.
- Always consult a health professional as per your health condition.
- Never disregard the suggestions given by the health professional.
- This article has not been evaluated by the FDA authority.